Wednesday, March 4

Nutford Place


Global HQ
Hard to believe it was 15 years ago that I founded eZoka during Web 1.0. In tech years, a lifetime. Our offices on the Edgeware Road, convenient to W9 where Sonnet and I enjoyed our first apartment. I caught the No. 6 bus (red, double-decker) for the 15 minute commute to work. 

When eZoka moved in, Nutford Place was in need of a renovation and we were one of the fresh new companies they were looking to attract (I netted us a substantial rent reduction by introducing other start-ups). Our floor had a prayer room and my first day I interrupted a guy washing his feet in the bathroom sink. Awkward. Halal Fried Chicken across the street and The Beirut Express restaurant next door.

By the end, we took over the top floor with our venture cash and created a substantial open space for working and goofing though no ping pong table nor been bags. It was a serious outfit with an engineering center in Swindon where our CTO located. We had good people, accepting one, with considerable momentum until it ran out. A grand adventure regardless.