Monday, November 5

Back-To-School Monday

Belated Hallowe'en

Sonnet at Buckingham Palace for a cocktail soiree honouring Judy Kelley whose recent book about Her Majesty's jubilee wardrobe.  Since Monday, the Queen not in residence, which makes plenty good sense to me.  Sonnet sashays with fashion historians, book publishers and members of the Royal Household inside the Royal paintings gallery where hangs Reynolds, Ruebens and van Dykes.  I have chili con carne with the kids.

Me: "Good day back at school ?'
Madeleine: "They gave us loads of homework.  I had to write an essay about a Roman who was, like, 90 years old, and he died. It was 200 BC which is ages before the Tudors."
Me: "What was his name?"
Madeleine: "I don't remember."
Me: "You don't remember?"
Madeleine: "Yes, Dad, I don't remember."
Me: "I'll give you two treats."
Madeleine: "Cornelius Nepos."
Me: "Well done."

Eitan has trouble setting up his iPod.
Me: "Didn't it come with instructions?"
Eitan: "What good would that do?"

"E-eee-eecchCHH!"
--Rusty, in the office, while I am on the phone