Tuesday, August 7

Football Camp


I pick up Eitan and Madeleine from football camp.

Madeleine: "What happens if I don't finish 'The Hobbit' by Thursday?"
Me: "Then no football final."
Madeleine: "I have, like, 200 pages. I won't be able to finish it by then."
Me: "Too bad. America v Japan, too. It's gonna be huge."
Madeleine: "I haven't had any time to read though."
Me: "Those are the breaks. Welcome to the real world."
Madeleine: "That's your world."
Me: "Disappointment, misery, failure. Prepare yourself, kid."
Madeleine: "That's your world, Dad."

Madeleine: "How long will they keep those flags in the park?" (Dad's note: giant Olympics flag poles placed around Richmond Park for the cycling)
Me: "I don't know."
Eitan: "They are not natural."
Madeleine: "Not everything in the park is natural, Eitan."
Eitan: "Other than the roads and the benches."
Madeleine: "And the two houses.  And the fences."
Eitan: "There are more trees and grass than fences."
Me: "Do you guys like to argue? Because this is the dumbest conversation I've ever heard."
Madeleine: "Yeah, I guess so Dad."
Me: "Katie and I used to argue about the same kinda stuff I suppose."
Eitan, Madeleine:
Me: "Maybe not though."