Friday, December 23

Fourth Day

Madeleine: "Will I be having a snake or a chinchilla by January 19?"
Me: "What about the lizard? After all the work you put in to get a lizard, don't you want one of those?"
Madeleine: "I changed my mind. I told you that."
Me: "Well, I don't know anything about either."
Madeleine: "You don't have to, Dad. I do."
Me: "Why January 19 anyway?"
Madeleine: "Because that is my next Soap Box."
[Editor's note: a 'Soap Box' is an in-school public speaking excercise. The school has a "no pets" policy.]

Madeleine: "I hate Boxing Day."
Me: "Really? How come?"
Madeleine: "Every kid hates Boxing Day. It is a known fact."
Me: "But it's a holiday. .."
Madeleine: "364 days until Christmas."

Me: "You are DDG. You don't even know it."
Madeleine: "Yeah, whatever, Dad."
Me: "Don't you think so ?"
Madeleine: "You say it all the time. It's just empty words."
Me: "I may say it all the time but I only say it to you."
Madeleine:
Me: "It's true, you know. You are drop dead gorgeous. "