Friday, October 28

Rocky



Last night we watch my all-time favorite film "Rocky" which I have been waiting for with Eitan and Madeleine. This the movie that inspired my entire third-grade to, well, be Rocky for Hallowe'en in '76.  Yet my hopes dashed as Eitan non-plused and Madeleine gives it a "Thumbs-up but sort of near the middle". 

How can it be?  Perhaps boxing not the central entertainment it once was : Mohamed Ali in the ring with anyone was a Big Deal and I remember the Leon Spinks fights, Ken Norton and Joe Frazier. Or perhaps the "underdog story" does not sell in Britain. In the US, any bum like Rocky thinks he can strike it rich, succeed, given his chance and hard work. In the UK, people accept what they got and get on with it.  Or maybe the kids have yet to face adversity, which they will, and cannot relate to the protagonists' struggles.  Who knows?

On another note, judging Stallone on his endless, horrible , sequels missing the point : he created two of America's most indelible characters with Rocky and Rambo.

Me, running, with Eitan: "Do you know what 'redemption' means?"
Eitan: "It's when somebody makes himself better."
Me: "Bingo. Do you think Rocky was redeemed in the end?"
Eitan: "Yeah, I guess so."
Me: "Was he the only one to be redeemed in the movie?"
Eitan: "We're not going in this direction again, are we Dad?"
Me: "Just tell me what you think."
Eitan: "I think only Rocky was redeemed."
Me: "What about his manager? What about him? Waiting 50 years for his chance?"
Eitan: "But he was only in the movie for like 1/100th of it."
Me: "It's not about the time. How about Paulie? The mean drunk, Adrian's brother?"
Eitan: "Definitatelyi not him."
Me: "But he let Adrian into the ring. At the end of Rocky's fight."
Eitan: "Yeah, so?"
Me: "So even people with bad knocks have redeeming qualities. They can be redeemed."
Eitan:

"It really don't matter if I lose this fight. It really don't matter if this guy opens my head, either. 'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed. And if I can go that distance, ya see, and that bell rings, ya know, and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, ya see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
--Rocky, 1976