Tuesday, February 22

Half Term Blues

The kids two days into their half-term break and even Rusty bored. Now, as I write, the Shakespears enjoy a "staring contest" at the dinner table (Sonnet working late). Yes, I want to holler at them to be quiet (makes sense to me at least) but instead I let them have their fun. How restrained. Madeleine notes sharply, "Eitan, you're just faking!" which makes me wonder: How does one fake a staring contest?

Me: "Ok, I want to see a book report over half term."
Madeleine: "You are always trying to ruin our break!"
Me: "How many pages? How about five?"
Eitan, Madeleine:
Sonnet: "Five is a bit long. How about two. Both sides of a page."
Me: "Two it is. Now I want it to be about a book you've read and no jacket covers, Madeleine."
Madeleine:
Me: "And, to help you out, maybe you want to form an argument. Like for Harry Potter, you could discuss whether Harry mature enough for the responsibilities of being a wizard."
Madeleine: "Of course he is."
Me: "Good, now put it on a piece of paper."
Madeleine: "I could just research it on the Internet."
Me: "That is what you won't be doing. Two pages, please."