Sunday, December 26

Grandma

My parents look, well, like Grandparents to me for the first time. They move a little slower, the hearing is not always there and in other ways they are frail. This is not a bad thing somehow, mind you. With age comes wisdom.


I recall my mom with our Euclid neighbors Loraine and Horace Haynes; Horace debilitated when I knew him, age 10, and made me uncomfortable as his speech unrecognisable though his mind sharp and eyes clear. Grace never acted differently around Horace and, I noticed, used touch often (at the time, this about the last thing I wished to do - touch an old person). Before his stroke, Horace worked for Standard Oil. Loraine and her sister Murial Drury (who lived together) Berkeley stalwarts with stories of the early UC campus and Berkeley fire of '23, which destroyed 584 homes in the North Berkeley Hills, including theirs and ours, both soon rebuilt. Murial's husband Newton Drury involved with the Save-The-Redwoods League which has, since '21, established over 1000 redwood memorial groves in thirty of California's state redwood parks; one grove named after Newton, who served as the league's first Executive Director as well as being the fourth Director of the National Park Service. I have been to the Newton Drury grove in the South Grove of Big Trees State Park.

Me: "What did you and Moe talk about on your walk?"
Madeleine, building a Lego house: "I don't know. Nothing."
Me: "That's it?"
Madeleine:
Me: "You know, talking to your Grandfather is like a great short-cut."
Madeleine: "What do you mean?"
Me: "He can tell you things that will take you many years to figure out. Ever think of that?"
Madeleine: "No, not really. Like what?"
Me: "Well, that is for you to consider. What are the things you wish know? Then ask him."
Madeleine: "Ok. Can I play with my Legos now?"
Me: "Fair enough."