Thursday, October 29

Vampire



Sunday evening from Boston, Marcia meets me at Laquardia and we head strait to the field club and gin and tonics.  Bliss.  Marcia and Larry have lived in Bronxville for, like, ever and it is a good community. Sunday night sees young families, attractive teen-agers and older couples buzzing about drinking adult drinks and discussing .. whatever.  At our table, we parry US health care since Marcia and Larry Republican and Larry conservative and from the South.  I hold back my Berkeley and we have a good conversation - it is easy to respect his view, though different than mine, since he is self made and one shy of being the President and CEO of Bank of New York. And what is going on with Obama anyway? Sigh.  He will need more than a year to make over the world, God bless.  Bronxville has forever been my, and Katie's, safe-haven from New York.  It is the perfect 30 minute commute from Manhattan and .. tranquil.  Katie (and my friends) launched many a night from here when younger .. or recovered from the stressful work week, post college. 

So during my few days in the Big Apple, I see a lot of good people for work and pleasure which usually mean the same thing. For instance, I am with Professor Meyer, the former Dean of the business school who is now a Special Advisor to Morgan Stanley and sitting on six boards including Macy's and USB, where he is Chairman of their asset management business.  NY mayor Mike Bloomberg, a friend of Meyer's, asked Meyer to be the President of NYC Global Partners, which manages the relationships between NYC and other global cities - he had dinner last week, for instance, with Boris. This suits well, as the Professor loves London and travel, though he notes otherwise on the travel. I think he cannot get enough, he being one of those guys without enough time in the day or years in a life.  Speaking of those, I also see my former colleagues from First Boston, who are now buying banks instead of advising them .. I may help them raise some of their next fund. Regardless, the jokes the same only with a few more wrinkles and we pick up the thread as yesteryear.  Am I old, dude?

Middle Age is when your age starts to show around your middle.
--Bob Hope

I don't feel old. I don't feel anything till noon. That's when it's time for my nap. 
--Bob Hope

After the age of 80, everything reminds you of something else. 
--Lowell Thomas