Wednesday, September 9

Charing Chores


Behind me is is the Thames and then One Embankment; behind that, Charing Cross which denotes the junction of the Strand, Whitehall and Cockspur Street just south of Trafalgar Square. I have often wondered it's name and learn today that it is from the long demolished Eleanor cross (now occupied by a statue of King Charles I mounted on a horse - misogynists, all) located at the former hamlet of Charing. It is the central datum point for measuring distances from London. Go figure.
This morning a plumber and electrician arrive at 8AM, ensemble, while Sonnet scrambles about her lipstick and the kids drag their feet. Same as it ever was. We have implemented a new discipline in the new house including chores. Lots of them. Very sternly Sonnet and I lay out the rules including back-yard and front (split between the Shakespeares), bathroom duty and pre-dinner table and after-meal clean up. In addition to such harshness, we now have a 7:30PM bed and 8PM lights out. Madeleine's mouth drops over this one. I warn that if they complain now or at any time, a demerit will be administered. Five demerits in three-months nets no allowance. If, however, they have none I promise to double their allowance. Madeleine: "What if we have one?" Me: "We'll see." Madeleine: "two?" Me: "Negotiation." Madeleine: "three?" Me: "Same." Madeleine: "four?" Me: "thin ice." It seems to be working too as Eitan bounces into my room to show me how a coin bounces from his bed military style. After a long, boring and tedious summer (for them, dear reader), I think Eitan and Madeleine crave the structure.