Thursday, April 17

Endless Beach

Cap de Carteret

Today we visit Carteret, on the west coast of the Cotentin peninsula, which has a salty, Atlantic feel. Flat sands stretch seven miles from Cap de Carteret, where we are, to Point Rozel or as far as the eye can see. The beach is wild and nameless (and protected), backed by miles of dunes, empty but for clouds of terns and a handful of walkers. It is almost our own.

Sonnet: "When I was your age, I had eight teeth pulled." [Dad's note: Sonnet had poor teeth]
Madeleine: "That must have hurt. " 
Sonnet: "I had lots of painkillers."
Madeleine: "I hate it when people collect old teeth."
Me: "They really do that?"
Madeleine: "Yes. I've seen it."
Me: "Well, you'll never guess what Gracie keeps. Above the fireplace."
Madeleine: "What ?"
Me: "Bateson." [Dad's note: Bateson was the beloved family dog, esp. loved by Grace]
Madeleine: "What!? I thought he was dead!"
Me: "His ashes."
Madeleine: "Oh. Aren't their two of them? Urns, I mean ?" 
Me: "And who do you think is in the other one?"
Madeleine: Eitan, Sonnet:
Me: "Your great Grandmother!"
Madeleine: "Oh My God!"
Sonnet: "Don't do that to the kids, really."
Madeleine: "Yeah. You can stop laughing Dad."