Sunday, December 8

Rake Work

20 bags

I spend the day in the backyard. Once, against their wills, the kids helped but no more : they are too busy with sport, homework, social ..  rest.  Moe and Grace cut me and Katie a break from chores at about this age so I get it. 

Eitan wanders into kitchen to find snack.
Me: "What do you think about Nelson Mandela's death?"
Eitan: "I'm not that upset I guess."
Me: "Do you know what Mandela was famous for?"
Eitan: "He was President."
Me: "Of what?"
Eitan: "Africa."
Me: "Not all of Africa. What part?"
Eitan: "South Africa."
Me: "What else do you know about him?"
Eitan: "He fought for his rights."
Me: "Everyone's rights. Blacks and all people."
Eitan exits kitchen, no snack.

Madeleine: "You know how I'm making that thing for you at school for Christmas that you are not supposed to know about ?"
Me: "Ummm . ."
Madeleine: "Well our teacher used it as an example and dropped in acid." [Dad's note: Madeleine makes things in her 'design technology' class]
Me:
Madeleine: "It took the whole class to get it out."
Me: "Sounds promising."
Madeleine: "I was really upset, Dad. Everybody was watching."
Me: "I bet."
Madeleine: "But the teacher was able to finally get it."
Me: "I can't wait for Christmas."

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
--Nelson Mandela