Tuesday, August 9

Painted Wall @ Sunrise

More words from Washington D.C.:

Me: "I'll give you five bucks if you can name five things about the white House."
Madeleine: "Really?"
Me: "They have to be good ones, too. I'm not paying for baloney like the White House is white."
Madeleine: "Barack Obama and his wife and his dog live on the 2nd floor."
Me: "Good."
Madeleine: "That the British burned down the White House in 1812."
Me: "Yep."
Madeleine: "There are 35 toilets. And five kitchens. That counts as two."
Me: "35 toilets?
Madeleine: "Four, dad, one more."
Me: "Go for it."
Madeleine: "There are eagles everywhere."
Me: "Dig deeper."
Madeleine: "The eagle is the symbol of America."
Eitan: "Mom told you that! "
Me: "I'll take it. Here's $5."
E: "What! Can I do that?"
Me: "Nope, you had your chance."
Eitan: "How about 5 questions for a dollar?"
Me: "No."
Eitan: "50p?"
Me: "No."
E: "A quarter? I'll do it for free, even."

Madeleine: "Washington: Museums, museums, museums."
Me: "Your worst nightmare?"
Madeleine: "Yep."

Eitan on the Jefferson Memorial : "Do we reaaallly have to go here?"

Eitan: "You know we burned down the White House? "
Me: "Oh, really?"
Eitan: "1812. It says right here the British burned down the White House."
Me: "Well I'm glad to know what side we're on."
Eitan: "I do like it when the British win."

Eitan: "Bye Dad! Bye Daaaad!
Me: "Get off that escalator right now!"
Madeleine: "What if the train comes?"
Me: "Then we will leave him."
Madeleine: "You would want to see some dumb old statue instead of keeping your own child?"

Sonnet: "I remember our trip to Washington D.C. when I was your age. I recall feeling the same way as you."
Madeleine: "Gee, thanks Mom, for making me feel really bad."