Tuesday, July 27

On Being A Teenager

Over breakfast: what do you kids want be like when you are teenagers?

Eitan: "I want to be like Alex Rider" (from the "Alex Rider" series; sort of like the Hardy Boys)
Me: "Why?"
Eitan: "I don't know. Because he's sporty and doesn't take drugs. Plus he is quite calm under pressure. And he is 14."
Madeleine: "I don't ever want to take drugs or go to 'Fat Sam's every day."
Me: "Fat Sam's?"
Madeleine: "The chicken place (in Sheen). It's called 'Sam's' but I call it 'Fat Sam's.' Billy's sisters go there every day."
Me: "Are they fat?"
Eitan: "Uh, y-e-ah."
Sonnet: "Sam's does not count as food."
Me: "Anything else about being a teenager?"
Together: "No."

Eitan: "Are you going to do anything interesting?"
Me: "Do I ever do anything interesting?"
Eitan: "Well, no."
Me: "Not even when I am being goofy?"
Eitan: "That's just being goofy."
Me: "How about when I am telling a story?"
Eitan: "Can we just go?"