Tuesday, November 24

On Gambling


Photo in front of our house - Kids bribed with something, I am sure, to stand there but I might suggest whatever on offer not enough (incidentally, Sonnet hid the kids Halloween candy and I am munching on a Twix bar).  Before photo, I combed Eitan's hair+shirt tucked in+tie - all undone by him - and boy is he pissed.

Over dinner, we discuss gambling.


Me: "Has your life ever come down to the roll of a dice?"
Madeleine: "Yes, dad, there was that time about two-pounds, fifty... I cannot even talk about it."
Me: "You mean when we bet on what was in my pocket?" (last year I bet Madeleine her allowance on money in my pocket, which was zilch; she of course thought it might be more than her allowance).
Madeleine: "I cannot believe you even took my money."

Eitan: "In Kew Gardens, there was a set of stairs, and we would throw our money, and whomever was closer to the stairs won the money."
Me: "I recall .. "
Eitan: "We really started off with two-pence, and I won. And then it was a 20P. And I won. And then it was a 50P. And I won. And then it was back to 20P. And you won. And then it was one-pound. And I won. And we finished off with me winning two pounds."
Me: "Would you ever gamble again?"
Eitan: "If it was against you...? Yes."

Madeleine: "Alex gambles, like, money and pencils."
Me: "Why does he do that?"
Madeleine: "Because his dad bets on horses."