Tuesday, October 20

Hamster And The Return Of Kit Kat Cowboy


Today, we get a hamster. For Madeleine, who is so excited she starts jumping up and down and exults like I have not seen before. The pet in return for yesterday's good marks at the parent-teacher review+hard work+persistence and her love of animals, which wins the day.  A dog is coming.  I pick Madeleine up from school then the High Street where we have a decent selection - she goes for a Syrian, changing her mind a half-dozen times and forcing the shop keeper to dig deep.  He is rewarded by our purchase of a Habitrail city, which I spend the afternoon assembling instead of, like, preparing for my trip to Boston tomorrow.   Still, a Habitrail is pretty cool and this may be the most useful thing I have done all week. It snaps and clicks into place.. sweet. 


This morning I resurrect Kit Kat Cowboy and his trusty side-kick Billings Montana for Madeleine's classroom.  Willie Nelson included in the deal.  I in a red cowboy hat and a long straw to gnaw, haming it up for thirty minutes with my faux Western drawl.  I give the little cow  pokes a taste of Jesse James and a tale of High Noon - just like Gary Cooper, with Kansas City turning up in the end to stand by our hero Kit Kat.  Madeleine beams.  The children ask questions - "is Kit Kat Cowboy older than Elvis?" -  and I leave the message that anybody in trouble need only ask for help.  The lesson is in the ask'n.  


Madeleine: "This is the best day of my life!"
Me: "Better than when you were born?"
Madeleine: "I cannot remember that. But I bet today is."