Sunday, July 26

Worry

Aggie has Eitan and Madeleine over for Saturday night allowing me and Sonnet "a fabulous time to ourselves" says Sonnet. We go to yoga. We stroll Richmond. We have dinner out and go to a movie ("Moon," which we like). This morning, a lie-in and I run 20 miles for my marathon. While I'm out, Sonnet goes through each kid's room and bags le crap then to the dump. Agree, it is a gross violation of their trust, my dear, but every now and again it must be done.

This photo got me thinking - what worries our kids? I ask Eitan: "war" (without hesitation). I suppose good that he is aware of these things. Madeleine more personal: "I worry about getting left at Waitrose" (Sonnet notes that she was lost several times at Carrs Supermarket in Alaska. Stan, Silver?). We try to shelter or filter Eitan and Madeleine from the world but it is always there seeping onto the computer or background on the radio and the television which is often fixed to the BBC. Eitan notes BTW that "it (the news) is always bad" and I try to explain that usually "bad news" is interesting or news. "Who wants to hear about ice cream cones?" I ask him. We chat a bit about sports which at least is not violent accept that Felipe Massa, a Brazilian Formula One driver, nearly dies yesterday in a crash. Eitan chooses to worry about the data. Madeleine, on the other hand, A) is an optimist or B) doesn't care. A simple test: before visible, I ask Eitan/Madeleine if the guard rail will be 'up' or 'down' at a nearby level crossing. Every time Eitan says "down" and Madeleine "up". This says something. I think.

Eitan: "The World Cup is in South Africa."
Eitain, after a long pause: "We have to get ourselves to the England games."

Eitan (while watching the World Swimming Championships in Rome): "Can you do two sports when you grow up?"
Me: "Very difficult at the professional level."
Eitan: "Tevez is a rock star. And Michael Owen races horces."
Me: "Michael Owen races horse?"
Eitan: "I could do football and swimming"