Saturday, May 30

Seamus


Seamus I visit yesterday in Midtwon as he considers buying a pharma company following a career at Elan and GE at strategic consulting firm the Mac Group who I interviewed with while at First Boston for their London office. Seamus an old college friend who I have not been with since his wedding which seems like yesterday but somehow five years ago. The bachelor party fun too BTW - golfing on a resort in Galway with his friends and brothers, one of whom works for distribution of Guinness. A handy ingredient. Also on hand is Suresh, who had sold his security software company to Microsoft and abuzz about Bill Gates several months before. Suresh advised by his new VP "not to engage Bill." Apparently Gates does not to look new relationships in the eye on account that he scares the crap out of them. In true fashion, relays Suresh, Gates had his company power-point presentation before him and threw it across his office at Steve Ballmer and Suresh's new business unit executives: "This is the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen" and "why the fuck did we buy this company?" If not for an accelerated earn-out, it would have been an even more terrifying event. Gates calmed down and eventually focused on the task, which I suppose how to integrate Suresh's software into the Death Star. They got along fine. Since, Seamus tells me, Suresh left MS and founded another start-up which sold to Symantic. Budda-bing.

Seamus transferred to Brown from Dublin and a stand-out runner though not on par with Greg Whiteley, who he sees at Brown's 20th reunion last week end while I am in CT with Mary and her gang. Seamus formed a contingent of elite athletes who together ranked in the NCAA Top-10 for cross country when I joined my Junior year after ditching my life-long passion and the unpleasant dudes on the Bruins swim team. Seamus leads a successful life and I was fortunate enough to see him on a Friday afternoon, which he informs me with a chuckle is when he plays golf. He joins me to Lincoln Center where we pick up my parents, Sonnet and the kids so he can meet Eitan and Madeleine and reunion with Moe and Grace - the last time being, I believe, on College Hill for graduation. Life moves on. Life is good.

"There once was a cheerful old bear,
who suddenly lost all his hair.
And though he was sad,
he knew it was bad ...
to cry and completely despair."
-- Eitan